Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bongo Room

1470 N Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago , OH
(773) 489-0690



I first heard about the Bongo Room by doing searches online for breakfast spots or cafes in Wicker Park. It kept showing up with rave reviews, so I had to see for myself. A freezing early Saturday morning we braved the elements and made it. We had about a 10 minute wait until we were seated. The fact that there were only two of us was extremely helpful, I watched parties of three and more waiting at least 20 if not 30 more minutes for a table. From what I hear we got off easy, usually the wait is out the door on the weekends. The tables are close together so you will get to know your neighbors. Our neighbors were a very nice couple that shared quite a bit of their knowledge of the city, and to our surprise they were from the Cleveland area as well.
The service was great. They ran a tight ship. The water in the glass never fell below half and neither did the coffee, which by the way was delicious. I ordered the Pumpkin and Graham Cracker Pancakes, served with a vanilla bean crème anglais and dusted with cinnamon. Talk about rich. Talk about sweet. The pancakes themselves had great graham flavor and if I were to get the dish again, I would certainly get the anglais on the side. There was no way I could finish the portion or anything else for that matter. My companion ordered the breakfast burrito, meatless and served with chunky potatoes. The burrito was filled with fluffy eggs and veggies and he seemed quite pleased.
After we departed, he later told me that he did find a hair on the plate, but did not want to ruin the visit, although it wouldn’t have changed the company or the experience.

No comments: