Friday, September 19, 2008

Larchmere Tavern

13051 Larchmere Blvd
Cleveland, OH 44120

Get Directions
(216) 721-1111

The Larchmere Tavern has been around for years now. In fact the last time I went was six years ago, and I can't really remember what dishes I enjoyed or didn't. Well, we gave it a try the other night. There were six of us, and we wanted to go some where we haven't all been yet.
Big Mistake.
Not only did we spend a ridiculous amount of money on such ( I want to say slop, but I feel that is too harsh, so we will go with) dishes, the service was ridiculous as well. I don't have a problem with spending money on good food, but that is the difference, GOOD FOOD. I wished I had spoke up and suggested after the three appetizers that we pay the bill and move on, but I didn't so we endured the uninspired fare that we were served.
Now, before I continue the company was wonderful and the occasion was fabulous, it is just unfortunate that this place gets away with serving this sub par fare. Maybe this is what some people like, maybe this is what people are into, so be it.
I only took one pic of the meal. I was trying not to focus on the food, but on my companions and the wine that I seemed to be drinking just a bit faster than the rest. And speaking of the wine, we started with a bottle that four of us were drinking. We finished it, so we ordered another of the same bottle at the same time we ordered our entrees.
We were served the salad course, no wine.
The salads were cleared, still no wine.
Not only were our wine glasses empty, so too were our water glasses. The place had maybe three other tables, with what I could see, at least, three individuals taking care of the room. Hmmm. So I asked the gentleman taking care of us for another bottle of wine, when he exclaimed, "oh, yea! The wine." We all forget things, I understand, that is just fine, but so far this isn't going well for the old Larchmere Tavern.
The appetizers we ordered were the Calamari, the Chicken Taco "Stackers", and the Roquefort Cheese Fritters with Granny Smith Apple Puree. Needless to say I was not impressed in the least. The "Stackers" were some taco mix on chicken with what tasted like cinnamon. The Calamari; I just don't know what was going on there. The Cheese Fritters with a "puree", were so doughy, and the "puree" was chunks of apples that obviously had been sitting in the hot kitchen for some time.
Ridiculous.
Here we go with the entrees: I ordered the Chicken Paprikash. There is nothing like a good Paprikash, and let me say this presentation was nothing near to a GOOD Paprikash. First of all there were both green and red peppers in the sauce, the sauce was thick and the spaetzle were obviously pan fried so they were chewy and brown on one side. Two of my companions ordered the Beef Short Ribs of which I tasted. The Mashed Potatoes that were served, were piped onto the plate and had the consistency of wet sand paper. The sauce on the ribs was gooey and reminiscent of a canned demi glace.
It is unbelievable that people actually come to dine here and apparently continue to come back, because they have been there forever. If that is what people are into, go for it, but I have no reason to return. Thanks but no thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

snap! sounds like a pretty awful food experience. i wonder if the larchmere tavern is just one of those places that, since they are a neighborhood institution, they don't feel they need to try anymore.

it is indeed a bummer when you throw down some cash for a special occasion and the restaurant doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paycheck...."snap!"

Dine O Mite! said...

I went there one time. I really cannot believe these people are able to stay in business. I'll take Boulevard Blue for a little more money any day of the week. This place is an absolute joke.

Do you know why we dared go in there the first time? Every time we pass it there are people sitting down and eating.

These people are either getting free food, or got struck by lightening and lost their sense of taste. The interior is a 1975 time capsule. For that matter you can include the food in the time capsule, as well.

Too bad the prices are in 2015. My dog eats better.

Do not pass GO, and do not collect $200. This place is to be avoided at all costs. Go to Boulevard Blue.

Simone said...

dine o mite you are so right! Every time I pass there are people on the patio seemingly enjoying themselves...Must be extra cocktails.

Anonymous said...

I hear the place is for sale. No wonder. That owner, Lorrie, is incredibly rude as well.