Friday, March 21, 2008

Lopez Bar and Grill "Southwestern Food Club"

2196 Lee Rd
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
(216) 932-9000
www.lopezonlee.com



Lopez has been around for some time now on Lee Road in Cleveland Heights. I have not been there for a little while because the food just has not been the same since they changed chefs a few years ago. So, when sis in law suggested we go there for dinner, I was a bit hesitant.
It was a Tuesday night, one of the nights that they offer half price Tequila. We made a reservation for 6:30, and the place was crazy busy. Our server came over promptly and asked if we wanted to start with some cocktails. We couldn't decide just then, so we told him we needed a few minutes to figure it out. We didn't see him again for at least 25 minutes, and only after we flagged down a different server that had to go find him. We ordered a pitcher of Margaritas, and then ordered our meals.
I started with a new addition to the menu, the Mango and Scallop Ceviche, served with green onion, cilantro, and prickly pear vinaigrette and served atop crisp baby corn tortillas. The Scallops were chopped into chunks and had the consistency of rubber. The flavor was not even pleasing. The "Prickly Pear" vinaigrette was a bright reddish color and was not a flavor I would like to experience again. To top it all off the garnish was sprigs of dill and there was no dill in the dish! Not a good start.
Next, I ordered the Pulled Pork Burritos, which I was informed was also a new addition to the menu. The pork was tender and came wrapped in two flour tortillas and topped with black beans, chili rajas, jack cheese, and a charred tomato guajillo sauce. This dish was actually not too bad.
Also ordered at the table were the Chicken and goat cheese egg rolls, which were soggy and flavorless. The saving grace for the egg rolls, was the "Tomato Jam" accompaniment, which had a nice sweet flavor. The Kobe Beef burger was also ordered and from what I understand, was dry and crumbled like a dry cookie. Also, the Flatbread Pizza, dressed with chicken, goat cheese, roasted garlic, and a Malbec Balsamic drizzle. I recall having the Flatbread in the past. Sis in law said, as I remember from my experience, was more like bread with stuff on it, not a "Flatbread". The best part when I had it was the reduction, which when Balsamic is involved adds so much flavor that it can save almost any dish, almost.
The Cowboy Cobb Salad was also ordered, and a friend of mine actually used to get the salad frequently, because it was always good. The salad consists of greens with a bunch of stuff on top, not too difficult to screw up.
Two of us then ordered coffee. 20 Minutes later, it arrived and our server said, and I quote, "sorry it took so long, I had to brew a fresh pot, I hope it is not too hot." As if him saying that would brainwash us into believing it was actually hot instead of being as cold as it was!
Although, Lopez has a nice bar, and good Tequila selection I will definitely make sure I eat before I return if someone should suggest it.

No comments: