Friday, March 7, 2008

Paladar

28601 Chagrin Blvd
Woodmere, OH 44122
(216) 896-9020
www.paladarlatinkitchen.com

Cleveland's suburb of Woodmere, neighbor to Beachwood: Paladar Restaurant, "Latin Kitchen and Rum Bar". Paladar is owned by the same individuals of Boulevard Blue on Larchmere Boulevard, in Shaker Heights. Nuevo Latino, Cuban, Latin, Caribbean, call it what you'd like. They have a large selection of rums, hence "Rum Bar" in the name, tequilas, and a substantial wine list.
The room was bustling with activity, and we were seated behind the partition to the front of the restaurant. Our server was very polite and patient when we couldn't decide what to order. I ordered a strawberry Caipirinha and it was perfectly muddled and delicious. For an appetizer, I started with the Trio of Ceviche: Tuna and Watermelon, with a sweet chili vinaigrette. Coconut-Lime Salmon, with coconut milk and red onions. And Ecuadorian Shrimp, with Tamarind and pickled garlic. All three were presented on a narrow divided dish alongside one another. They were sweet assemblies and I couldn't decide which was my favorite between the Salmon or the Tuna.
We also ordered the Tiny Tacos. Rum smoked Mahi Mahi with pickled JalapeƱos. The Tiny Tacos were scrumptious. The Mahi Mahi was sweet and smoky and the crisp Malanga tortillas were a perfect change from the usual corn or white flour tortilla.
We also ordered their made to order Guacamole. We chose the "spicy", and it arrived not spicy and a peculiar brown color. It was served with Malanga, Plantain, and tortilla chips, the chips were very nice, but the Guac. unfortunately was not.
I also ordered the Butternut Squash and Tortilla Soup. I love Butternut Squash. Any way I can get my hands on it, I will. This soup seemed to be just a puree of Squash with strips of Tortillas on top. I was expecting something more, some complex flavors that would deepen the sweetness of the squash, not the case.
Next, I ordered the Slow Roasted Pork "Cubano". Rum glazed Pork Shoulder served with black beans, and coconut and mango rice. The dish was extremely sweet. The rum glaze on the pork resulted in a sweet and tender pulled pork, that was juicy and tasty, but served with the mango and coconut rice it was just way too sweet. I feel if the rice was not as sweet it would have balanced the dish out a bit better. I also tasted the Lamb Stew, served with rice and a JalapeƱo Cilantro Broth. I am not the biggest fan of Lamb, but do indulge from time to time. This Lamb Stew was not my cup of tea. It had a gamy flavor to it that I just couldn't get past. Other dishes ordered were the Hangar Steak, Baja Inca Stew, and the Grilled Mojo chicken. All that dined upon them seemed to be pleased with their selections.
For dessert we had Cuban Coffee (sweetened Espresso, which you can't go wrong with), the Coconut and Caramel Flan, and the Churros. The Flan had a nice flavor, but seemed a bit firm. The Churros were very tasty with fried goodness, although they seemed a little gooey inside.
Paladar did impress with the cocktails and appetizers, and the place was packed and lively on a Wednesday night. To be honest, from what I had heard, I expected not to like the place, but after recounting my experience, it was quite pleasant and I would easily return if someone suggested it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One item to note is that some of their drinks seemed a little over priced. I mean $13.00 for a premium mojito, come on now? -Gmonkey

Simone said...

They can get steep, but it is Beachwood, and premium booze...what can ya do?