Saturday, July 26, 2008

Clover Coffee at the Coffee Bar

1890 Bryant St
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 551-8100
www.coffeebar-usa.com

The Clover Coffee experience has been around for a few years now. I got wind that a coffee place called The Coffee Bar in the Mission District of San Francisco serves this rich coffee, so I had to go give it a whirl. The Coffee Bar is located in a somewhat industrial strip of the Mission. The Coffee Bar is a sleek and simple space with no nonsense menu and patrons. Really, I came specifically for the Clover Coffee.
The Clover Coffee machine is a single cup brewing process that is similar to a reverse French Press process. Hot water (of which the temperature can be regulated) is poured in the top of the machine from its own spout. The per order measured grounds are then raised up and down within the machine. The brew is extrapolated down and the grinds rise up to the top of the machine where they form a perfect disk and are then discarded. This Clover Coffee machine can cost between $8,000 and $20,000. The coffee I purchased was $3.
The Clover coffee was definitely rich. The flavor was deep and a sheen of coffee oil danced upon the surface of the brew. I would get the Clover again in the future if I happened to be somewhere that served the luscious brew, but I would not go out of my way again to find it.
Also, as of recent the Starbucks Company has purchased the Clover Coffee Machine Company. Now, I don't know how you feel about Starbucks, but I have never really liked the taste of their coffee. Nor do I support their attitudes about "venti", "grande" and the like. I much rather support a mom and pop coffee shop instead, or at the very least, a coffee establishment that has a better cup of coffee.
This is the quote from the Clover Equipment Company regarding "What's Next" for the merger:
"Starbucks is uniquely positioned to change the way the world thinks about brewed coffee with its coffee heritage and tremendous passion for the industry. Working together profound change is possible." (Clover Coffee Equipment)
Now yes, I am sure
"profound change" is possible, but do we really want someone that makes bad coffee to take over something that makes good coffee? We shall see I suppose. I am just glad I was able to try it before the buy out.

2 comments:

Laura in Paris said...

Oh, I am happy to meet someone who does not like the taste of Starbucks coffee. I have tried different types but there is always something that bothers me. Why would they buy a new shop when they are closing hundreds of their own brand?

Simone said...

Thank you! I can't stand Starbucks. I am not sure why they would buy the rights to The Clover Equipment since they seem to be suffering. Maybe a last stitch attempt to save themselves, since Clover IS so good...