Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ariyoshi (Sukiyaki Dinner)

2206 Lee Rd
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
(216) 321-1020



Where the hell have I been? I can't believe it has been over a month since I last posted anything. I have been going out and what not, just been busy I guess.
Anyway, Sukiyaki!


I have spoken of Ariyoshi before. The sushi place on Lee Road in Cleveland Heights. And as someone commented before, I AM talking about Ariyoshi, not Aoeshi across the street. The individual had requested I return to Aoeshi to give them a good review, but I have yet to return, keep ya posted...

As always, we were warmly greeted and the hot sake continued our warm reception. The sushi, the other menu items, and the people that run Ariyoshi are always wonderful. The other week I got the chance to try their Sukiyaki dinner for the first time.
We ordered our usual appetizers; Age Dashi Tofu, Edamame, and Shumai. All very tasty indeed. In addition to some Nigiri sushi and sushi rolls we ordered the Sukiyaki Dinner; Beef, Chicken, or Seafood, simmered table side with veggies and and a sweet and savory brown sauce.
We opted for the beef that arrived as raw thinly sliced strips, similar to that of a Beef Carpaccio. The Madame of Ariyoshi proceeded to prepare our meal, adding first the plate full of onions, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, zucchini, tofu, and pea pods. The veggies were sauteed for a few minutes before the rich broth was added, followed by thin rice noodles.Our mouths watered as we watched her add each strip of the raw beef to the bubbling vat that was soon to be set in front of us. After simmering for just a few moments she then divided the succulent concoction into our individual bowls.
Add a little rice, and it was perfect. The veggies swam through the rich sauce while the tender beef absorbed the sweet flavor.
Not ever having this dish, I was pleasantly surprised.
As always, I leave Ariyoshi feeling warm and fuzzy, but this time I left with a new deliciously satisfying experience, that I will be sure to indulge in again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fun stuff - i too have been to ariyoshi and have enjoyed the sukiyaki there. there's something deeply satisfying about how the broth just gets better and better as more items are added.