Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ariyoshi

2206 Lee Rd
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
(216) 321-1020

Ariyoshi, the Japanese restaurant on Cleveland Heights' Lee Road came through once again. I have spoken of this place before, and mentioned how I wanted to try and dine there often not only because the food was great but also to try and do my part to keep them around.
Well, I dined there once again the other night, and they did not disappoint.
The lighting was nice and dim, although they do have two huge flat screen televisions that seem to follow you wherever you go in the restaurant, which is a little intrusive. But once you are comfortably seated and focused on the tasty morsels in front of you, it is easier to block them out. This visit we tried the Ika Sansai salad. It is cooked squid tossed with sesame seeds and a savory dressing, served with shaved Daikon radish. The flavor was there but it did not wow me enough to say that I would order it again. We also ordered the Age Dashi Tofu appetizer, just to make sure it was as good as it had been previously; it was. So tender and tasty. There were four of us so we decided to order a few large sushi rolls (Futomaki), and a few small rolls (Hosomaki), as well as, a few pieces of Tuna (Maguro) nigiri style.
Each selection was perfectly assembled by the sushi chefs, and the fish was sweet and fresh. Our server was very engaging and attentive, and our carafe of hot Sake never sat empty.
Thankfully, Ariyoshi rose to the occasion once again and we all left with full bellies and planning our next visit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been there too, great Japanese food all around. I remember when that used to be an Arabica coffee house. Arabica had had a really nice fireplace in the middle of the restaurant. I wish Ariyoshi would have kept that. Otherwise, I have to go out on a limb and say it is the best sushi on the East side of Cleveland (Don't forget, Kimo is still around...).

Simone said...

I hear ya...Kimo does have delicious sushi. I also agree that the fireplace would have been a great thing to keep around after the renovation.

michelle v said...

Are they new, I'm not familiar with them. I'm loyal to Pacific East but will have to give them a try. Ah - Kimo! When I lived downtown, I went there all the time.

Simone said...

Yes, I agree Pacific East is great. Ariyoshi opened at the end of December, and is a wonderful addition to the Cleveland Heights restaurant scene. I would definitely recommend giving them a try.

Anonymous said...

With all of the sushi places in town, I definitely agree this was one of the best. That location has had such a hard time keeping tenants; I hope this one sticks around.

Anonymous said...

While I love supporting local businesses (at the end of my street) I was a bit let down with the whole experience. We've been there a dozen times, and while I can't say anything was bad, I thought it lacked a bit over Sasa/Matsu in Shaker Square and even Shinano's, now in Solon, on Miles Rd. Yes, their sushi was darn good but the menu is a bit strange to the majority of us seasoned foodies and the service and quality are a bit lacking. 2 times, we ordered what everyone else serves as one thing and were then told that what we were seved was what we ordered and was not. It's also unfortunate that our neighborhood caters more to the people that rent for 6 months and less to the people that live here for a decade-to-forever and pay the bulk of taxes. In a snap, good sushi. If you live in the area, Sasa Matsu will knock your socks off in both portions, freshness, quality and broad menu!!. If you want to drive a few miles, Shinano is equally as spectacular!! Enjoy. : )