Friday, February 22, 2008

C and Y Chinese Restaurant

2222 St Clair Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44114
(216) 566-1188

Keeping along the Asian kick I have been on; C and Y Chinese Restaurant in downtown Cleveland dishes up tasty dish after tasty dish. I have been there a handful of times for dinner and never had any complaints. The service was impeccable and the food always left me wanting more. Recently, I went for their Dim Sum on a Sunday afternoon. I realized that I had never experienced the Dim Sum before. From what I heard, this is just the place. I also heard that Li Wah Chinese restaurant, was recommended for such endeavors, but after my experiences there, I think not. C and Y serves Dim Sum until 3 pm on Sundays and we arrived around quarter til 2, just enough time.
We started with tea of course, and we were then bombarded with cart after cart of small steaming plates of dumplings and different goodies to choose from. Everything was more interesting than the next. It was a bit overwhelming, being that none of the three of us had experienced Dim Sum before. Each of us just kept repeating "yes, okay"as the young ladies placed each tantalizing plate in front of us.We chose the pork and vegetable buns, the bbq pork buns, shrimp dumplings, pork dumplings, spring rolls, meatballs, and my favorites of all of our choices, the vegetables wrapped with tofu skin, and the taro dumplings. But, we must not forget the Chicken feet. Oh yes. The sauce on the feet was sweet and savory at the same time. The consistency of the flesh was appetizing, but the crunchy cartilage is something that will take getting used to. Although I did not fully enjoy the feet, I did appreciate them and would definitely try them again in the future.
At that point, we were all so full that we couldn't think of getting anything else and unfortunately we missed out on all the sweet dumplings they had to offer.
Next time we will know a bit more of what we are getting ourselves into, and we will know how to space out the little dishes in order to go the distance.

2 comments:

maybelles mom said...

I had a terrible experience at Li Wah on New Years, but I think we should have gone to C&Y. I love that your site is so honest about restaurants. Thanks.

Leaf, Branch, Bark & Root said...

I am heartbroken to hear that C&Y is closed for good. Still trying to get details on why, but it's moot. They had the best Dim Sum in NE Ohio and I will miss Jimmy Fong (the manager) and his brother Billy very much. Ironically, I didn't find out until I was about to send out an email invite to a group of 10 people and wanted to call and make sure they would have Wu Gok (crispy tarot dumplings) on hand.