Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bo Loong

3922 Saint Clair Ave NE
Cleveland, OH 44114
(216) 391-3113

I have heard mixed reviews of Bo Loong forever. All my years in Cleveland not once had I passed through their doors. It was a Saturday afternoon and there were six of us in the mood for Dim Sum. We wanted to go to C & Y Restaurant like we had in the past, but apparently it is closed! Closed forever! (I am going to get more information on this situation.)
Anyway, Bo Loong was the place we chose for our Dim Sum adventure, and an adventure it was. Bo Loong is another sprawling restaurant complete with fish tanks pretty much on every wall. This being only the second time I have experienced Dim Sum, I was ready to dive back in to the multitudes of selections.
I do love how the staff just bombards you with choice after choice of the steamed dumplings, steamed buns, and soups, and all the rest, but it can be a bit daunting. The next thing I knew we had a table full of little beauties to try.
Steamed Shrimp dumplings,
Pork and Shrimp, Bbqued Pork, Chicken Dumplings, Tofu skin stuffed with mushrooms and onions, fried Taro Root,

(which was very nice, but I definitely liked the Taro Root at C & Y better), Spring Rolls, fried Tofu, and last but certainly not least Congee. I have been interested to try Congee for some time, and I finally got to try this gelatinous concoction of rice porridge with bits of pork and fish.

I have to say, it was good. The texture was definitely something to get used to, but once you do, it was tasty stuff.
Some of us ordered some soups as well; the Egg Drop, and Wonton. Unfortunately, they were not that impressive.
Our last experience with Dim Sum we didn’t get to try any of the sweet selections, so this time we made sure we did.
Mexican Bough, which was a bun stuffed with Lemon Cassata, Sesame Bun, a chewy morsel stuffed with sesame paste, little egg custard cups, and the Silken Tofu pudding with sweet syrup. The Lemon bun was delicious, sweet lemon custard with a baked bun shell. The Sesame Bun was not my favorite, nor were the egg custard cups, which were like biting into a congealed egg yolk.

The Tofu pudding on the other hand, if you can get past the consistency, was lightly sweetened, silky and quite pleasing.

After giving the bowl a stir, the sweet syrup surrounded the Tofu and left you with a slurpy sweet and smooth finish.
I am quite glad that I finally got the chance to try Bo Loong, if not for the Dim Sum, just to give them a chance. The service and the food were very good and I will happily return in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boooo Long is sweet. Great picts. Wish I was there, perhaps we will go when we are in town next time!

Simone said...

Thanks! I am glad we finally got to go check the place out, sorry you missed it too!